Using tap water to make baby formula may not be a sensible decision given the possible contaminants that can exist in tap water nowadays. In case you are a parent, please read this short article in its entirety. I have some valuable information to mention. Are you aware of just how vulnerable your child is?
1. Microbial Threats – In the spring of 1993 a microscopic parasite called Cryptosporidium parvum was responsible for over 100 deaths in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It arrived through the city’s water supply because a water treatment plant neglected to filter it out. Nowadays stricter regulations help to ensure that our drinking water is monitored and treated efficiently before finding yourself at our taps.
However we must not relax since there still are many waterborne bacteria that still cause illnesses. This list includes nontyphoid Salmonella, pathogenic Escherichia coli and Legionella. Are all still very active, Legionella grows vigorously in warm water, such as in a shower where it can be inhaled with the steam.
2. Lead – Perhaps the most feared of contaminants as a result of damage it can cause to the brain. A recent sampling of tap water in Washington D.C. exposed lead levels 5 times the EPA standard. The lead is most likely to come from your own household plumbing. This can happen in case your house has lead pipes, or copper pipes soldered with lead plus it depends on the age of your house.
In reality the EPA advise that you simply use cold water for cooking, drinking and especially for producing baby formula. This is because your hot water is most likely to contain higher concentrations of lead. You are at the greatest risk from any being exposed to lead if you are a young child or should you be pregnant
3. Chlorinated Solvents – Do you use any of these, drain cleaners, shoe polish, waxes, oven cleaners? These contain chlorinated solvents, they fit in with a chemical family which is commonly used in household and industrial processes. In 2006 samples of water to drink in twelve states were examined and ten percent were contaminated with chlorinated solvents.
4. Chemical Contaminants – Over the years we have produced many synthetic organic chemicals including antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides to name but several. Most of these find their way into our water supplies through various means, whether from illegal dumping of waste material or through the action of rain water. Once these wind up in our drinking water they posses a very real threat to our health.
When they do result in our water supply, based on the authorities these are at “this kind of low concentration which they do not pose a health risk to consumers.” It sounds very comforting, however I would ask what about the long term being exposed to these low concentrations? A small amount of pollutant probably would not affect a grownup, but what might it do in order to a child?
5. Chlorine – Chlorine has been used within our water supply for around one hundred decades. It is still a priceless and effective disinfectant, and it keeps working all the way up to your tap. However chlorine does have an Achilles heel, water naturally contains organic matter so when this enters into contact with chlorine the end result is disinfection by-products. These by-products can affect the health of your central nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Your baby is extremely susceptible to any one these contaminants so it’s a good idea to stop using tap water to create baby formula today. What you should do is get an effective water purifier. May I would recommend a combination of ixoqvx carbon filters, ion exchange, and sub micron filtration. This helps remove of practically all the contaminants found in water. If at all possible, get yourself a whole house water system and make sure you make use of purified water for your baby’s needs. In this way, you can ensure that your baby stays safe and healthy.